This is a delicious and simple meal that can be whipped up quickly. It includes a range of vegetables as well as a good serving of protein.
From: Unknown Author (Oct 2010) in Healthy Food Guide
- 4 slices of day-old Italian-style bread, torn in 2cm pieces (I used Ciabatta buns)
- 2 small cucumbers, halved lengthways, sliced diagonally
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, torn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4x 125gm porterhouse or scotch fillet steaks, trimmed
- cooking oil spray
- 6 cups mixed lettuce leaves
- To make bread salad, place bread, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, basil, oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle pepper on both sides of beef. Spray a chargrill pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook beef, turning, for 7-8 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Stand for 5 minutes to rest.
- Serve beef with bread salad and lettuce.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.