This healthy and flavoursome meal leapt out of the latest Healthy Food Guide and I just had to make it for dinner recently.
From: Freer, Chrissy (Sep 2016) Pluses of Pulses in Healthy Food Guide
- olive oil spray
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium courgette, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 400g can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- cracked black pepper
- 240g wholemeal pasta
- 40g feta, crumbed, to serve
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over high heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, or until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to a medium heat. Add oil, onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add courgette, garlic and oregano, and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until just softened.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, balsamic vinegar and water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes until sauce thickens. Stir through parsley and season with pepper.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions, or until al dente. Drain well and return to the pan. Add the chickpea mixture to the pasta; toss to combine. Divide the pasta among four serving bowls and serve topped with crumbed feta.