This is a great recipe that is dairy free and diabetes friendly. It provides you with a good source of protein and also some great seasonal veges.
From: Freer, Chrissy; 5 Meals from 10 Ingredients In (Feb 17) Healthy Food Guide
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- oil spray
- 4x 125g lamb leg steaks, fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2x 400g cans no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 150g sugar snap peas, trimmed (or snow peas or beans)
- 4 medium courgettes, trimmed
- 1 roasted red capsicum, peeled, thinly sliced (see Cook’s tip)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine chilli flakes, dried oregano and cumin in a small bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over lamb leg steaks. Spray a large grill pan or non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Grill lamb for 2 minutes each side (for medium), or until cooked to your liking. Transfer lamb to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Gently fry onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and lemon zest and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add chickpeas to pan with ⅓ cup water and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until heated through.
- Steam, boil or microwave sugar snaps for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Refresh under cold running water, drain well. Cut long ribbons from courgette with a vegetable peeler. Place courgette, sugar snaps and roasted capsicum in a large salad bowl with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Gently toss to combine.
- Divide chickpea mash among 4 serving plates. Top with the lamb steaks and serve with courgette salad.