Chef Ray – Vege Quesadillas
A delicious and easy to prepare meal, that the whole family will love.
From: Cameron-Lee, Megan; 5pm Panic In (Feb 17) Healthy Food Guide
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 400g can of no-added-salt red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼-½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ red capsicum
- 4 large wholegrain tortillas
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup light sour cream, to serve
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (made with 1 part olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar) to serve
- To make tomato salsa, in a small bowl combine tomato, red onion, coriander and half of the lime juice. In another small bowl, combine remaining lime juice and avocado. Set both bowls aside.
- In a medium bowl, place kidney beans and mash gently with a fork. Stir through spices and capsicum.
- Spread one quarter of the bean mixture over half a tortilla. Top with one quarter of the cheese and baby spinach. Fold tortilla over to cover. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Place two folded tortillas in pan. Cook for 2 minutes each side, carefully flipping with a spatula halfway through, until tortillas are golden and the cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining two tortillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into four wedges. To serve, top with tomato salsa, mashed avocado and sour cream, with salad leaves tossed in vinaigrette on the side.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.