This is a quick, simple and healthy dinner recipe.
From: Evans, Pete (2015) Fast Food for Busy Families – More than 100 quick & easy Paleo Recipes Macmillan
- 600gm beef fillet, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 portions lengthways (bring the meat to room temperature before cooking)
- Melted coconut oil, for cooking
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or macadamia oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari or coconut aminos (found in health food stores)
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2½ tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 125ml (½ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon bonito flakes (found in Asian food stores)
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons bonito flakes
- baby shiso leaves (found in Asian food stores)
- 1 nori sheet (found in Asian food stores), finely shredded
- black sesame seeds
- To make the onion ponzu, place all the ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
- To make the tataki dressing, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat a barbecue plate or chargrill pan to hot. Lightly brush the beef fillet with some coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear the beef for 1½ minutes on all sides (or cook to your liking). Rest the beef in a warm place for 4 minutes.
- Thinly slice the beef and arrange on a serving plate. Drizzle over the onion ponzu and tataki dressing, then top with the spring onion, bonito flakes, shiso, nori and sesame seeds.
Serve with a salad or cooked broccoli.
For more great recipes like this get Paleo Pete’s Family Food cook book.
Pete Evans knows that most of us don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen making meals that are good for us and that taste great too. We want food that nourishes us, but that is also easy to make (and that the kids might eat!).
The key is using herbs, spices, nuts and good fats to bring bold flavours and textures to even the simplest dishes. In Fast Food for Busy Families, Pete shares more than 100 of his favourite no-fuss meals for people on the go. This is fast food as you have never seen it before: fresh, delicious, nutrient-dense and ready in minutes.
Pete has you covered for breakfasts, lunches and dinners, and shows you quick ideas for those times when it’s hard to keep things healthy: for snacks, treats, barbecues and when entertaining. There are also tips for cutting down your time in the kitchen so that you can spend more time enjoying your meals with the people you love. All of his recipes are full of fresh vegetables, ethically farmed meats and offal, sustainable seafood, nuts and seeds, and completely free from grains, dairy, refined sugar and legumes.
It’s never been so easy to eat well, and look and feel amazing!