Thursday Training Plan: Christchurch MARATHON Training Plan (INTERMEDIATE 12 week Plan – Start 12 Mar 18)

Training Plan

The Christchurch Marathon is one of the fastest marathon’s in New Zealand. This training plan will take an intermediate runner and increase their fitness level to enable them to comfortably run faster than they previously have.

Continue reading “Thursday Training Plan: Christchurch MARATHON Training Plan (INTERMEDIATE 12 week Plan – Start 12 Mar 18)”

Coach Ray’s Suffering: Dilemmas & Wairua Warrior Training

Rotorua marathon

I’ve still got no idea what I’ll do next. I’m keen to get up to Rotorua and offer to pace the marathon as I have done many times. I want to do the Christchurch marathon and/or the Wellington or Nelson marathons.  My best time of 3:00:20 was done in the Dunedin marathon.  If I target that, it gives me more time to train. I could focus on some half marathons for a bit and try and get my time down and run a PB (1:22 which I ran twice in 2005). I’m not sure what I want to do.  All of the above isn’t an answer I’d accept from my athletes so I won’t accept it from myself. Anyway this is the training I’ve been doing……..
Continue reading “Coach Ray’s Suffering: Dilemmas & Wairua Warrior Training”

How to Fuel For a Half Marathon

Fuelling for a Half MarathonThis post started out as an email response to a question about fuelling for a half marathon:

Previous advice during a race is not to drink the sugary electrolyte drinks and stick with the water. This stops the energy system switching from fat burning to sugar burning and back. What are your thoughts. Both isotonic drinks and water are available at the drink stations.

Continue reading “How to Fuel For a Half Marathon”

Book Review: Matt Fitzgerald – 80/20 Running

Tri Coach NZFitzgerald, Matt (2014) 80/20 Running – Run Stronger and Race Faster by Training Slower New American Library

I’ve been wanting to read this book since I heard it was published. Matt Fitzgerald is an engaging author who researches his topics thoroughly. He is a runner and a coach himself, but primarily a writer and has a number of books with a running or triathlon theme. Having finished 80/20 Running I’ve moved on to reading another of his books – Iron War which I have been wanting to read for many years. This is the story of the race to win the 1989 Hawaii Ironman.

Back to the book in hand.

This book is really great at helping you understand the science behind by why Arthur Lydiard’s training programmes and philosophy were so successful. Although it refers to a large body of scientific evidence, it is written in  such a way as not to overwhelm you with science, but simply written in layman’s terms which help you clearly understand each concept as it is introduced and discussed.

The main premise of the book is that 80% of your training is conducted at a low intensity and the remaining 20% is conducted at moderate or high intensity. For those that use the training intensities that I use in my coaching that is roughly equivalent to Level II, Borg 2-3, PZ3 or the Endurance Power or HR Zones.

This book is a great read for anyone participating in endurance exercise whether for sporting goals or health and fitness goals who would like an understanding of the ‘why’. Why is your training better and more beneficial at the lower intensity? It is also an exceptional read for coaches who would like to be reminded about the most proven training philosophy that has created the most successful athletes ever.

Reading this book has reinforced to me that I am doing the right thing with the training programmes that I produce and will continue to do so.

I don’t sell anything on this blog, the link above to Amazon allows you to purchase the book at the best price available. Amazon give me a small credit if you click the link and purchase the book through them. I would greatly appreciate it if you are going to purchase the book that you use this link.

If you would like further advice feel free to contact Coach Ray.

Coach Ray is the Head Coach & Director of Qwik Kiwi – Endurance Sports Consultant and is a prominent triathlon and marathon coach in New Zealand.

Coach Ray specialises in assisting first timers and recreational athletes to achieve their sporting goals. He can be contacted at www.qwik.kiwiray@qwikkiwi.com and 021 348 729. Make sure you sign up to his monthly informative newsletter.

Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.

 

Christchurch Marathon and Half Marathon

Gerard is training hard as he prepares for the World 70.3 Triathlon Championships, this involves swimming 1900m then cycling 90km prior to finishing with a half marathon. As part of his goal setting for the world champs he set a number of goals, one of which was to run sub 1:20hr for a half marathon. We targeted the Christchurch Half Marathon to achieve this goal. This is his story about how it went for him: Continue reading “Christchurch Marathon and Half Marathon”