We often have homemade pizza in my household, usually making the base from scratch using flour, water & yeast. Then I came across this recipe that I tried out a few weeks ago, for a low carb pizza base.
From: Unknown Author (2018) Fathead Pizza – The Holy Grail https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/
- 170g grated mozzarella cheese
- 85g almond meal/flour
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp dried rosemary/garlic or other flavourings (optional)
- Mix the grated cheese and almond meal/flour in a microwavable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, salt, rosemary and any other flavourings, mix gently.
- Place between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper and roll into a circular pizza shape. Remove the top baking paper/parchment. If the mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again but not too long or you will cook the egg.
- Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Slide the baking paper/parchment with the pizza base, on a baking tray or pizza stone, and bake at 220°C for 12-15 minutes, or until brown.
- To make the base really crispy and sturdy, flip the pizza over (onto baking paper/parchment) once the top has browned.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and add all the toppings you like. Make sure any meat is already cooked as this time it goes back into the oven just to heat up the toppings and melt the cheese. Bake again at 220°C for 5 minutes.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published a couple of years ago: