Chef Ray – Asian Steak Tacos with Bok Choy Slaw
This is a great way to deliver the taste of Asia with a slight Mexican style.
From: Lim, Nadia (2015) Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook Penguin Random House
- 500g lean beef steak (eg sirloin or rump), trimmed of excess fat
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon liquid honey
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1-2 teaspoons chilli paste or sauce (optional)
- 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Bok Choy Slaw
- 3 (2½ -3 cups shredded) baby bok choy
- 4 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise
- ½ lemon, juice of
- 1 carrot, peeled, shredded or coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ cup coriander, chopped
- Rub steak all over with Chinese five spice and season with salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for about 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking. Set steaks aside to rest for a few minutes before slicing very thinly against the grain.
- While the steak is resting make the slaw. Trim 1cm off the stalk ends of the bok choy, then finely slice the stalks and leaves. Mix mayonnaise and lemon juice together and gently toss with bok choy, carrot, spring onion and coriander.
- Mix together remaining oil, soy sauce, honey, water, chilli, if using, garlic, ginger, sesame oil. Heat the pan the steak was cooked in and add sauce. Let it bubble for 30-60 seconds until reduced and sticky. Turn off the heat and add sliced steak to the pan, quickly tossing it in the sauce to coat evenly. Sprinkle over sesame seeds.
- Heat tortillas according to packet instructions.
- To serve, place tortillas, bok choy slaw and steak in dishes in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves. To build a taco add spoonfuls of beef and sauce to the tortilla and top with slaw. Roll up and eat.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery. Click here to purchase.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously:
For more great recipes like this get the Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook.
Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook is a no-fuss approach to losing weight, getting fit, and feeling your best. With more than 100 nutrition-packed, calorie-controlled, deliciously satisfying breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and treats, Nadia will help you lose weight and keep it off. These everyday, easy recipes, combined with her simple exercise tips, create a flexible 12-week program for anyone wanting to shape up and live a healthier life. Enjoy favorite dishes like steak and mushroom pie, pizza margarita, and lemon coconut slice with a lighter, healthier twist. Recipes cover busy family weeknights through to entertaining, and can be adapted to the seasons and your tastes. With Nadia’s all-inclusive eating and exercise plan you are set to become the healthiest, happiest, and most energetic you have ever been. This is more than just a cookbook—it’s a recipe for life!