Quinoa is packed full of energy and is a great fuel for a workout or to refuel after a tough session.
Roasted Tomato, Quinoa and Crispy Chickpea Salad with Cashew Dressing
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme roughly chopped
- black pepper freshly ground
- fine sea salt
- 400 g 2x can chickpeas in springwater drained and rinsed
- 2 cups quinoa rinsed and drained
- 70 g almonds lightly toasted, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil roughly torn
Creamy Cashew Dressing
- 70 g cashew nuts
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tsp nutritional (savoury) yeast (optional)
- ½ lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. On an oven tray lined with baking paper, place cherry tomatoes cut side up. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over tomatoes, scatter with thyme and season with black pepper and salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until tender and semi-dried. Remove and set aside, leaving oven on.
- While tomatoes cook, in a bowl place cashews and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread chickpeas on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for 10-15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, or until chickpeas are crispy and golden brown.
- Cook quinoa according to packet directions. Set aside to cool.
- Drain soaking cashews and place in a blender along with other dressing ingredients, plus ½ cup cold water. Blend on high until smooth. Season with salt.
- In a large bowl, gently combine cooled quinoa, roasted tomatoes, crispy chickpeas, almonds, lemon zest, parsley and basil, and season with salt. Squeeze over lemon juice and drizzle over remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Divide salad among 6 plates and drizzle over cashew dressing.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery. Click here to purchase.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published last year: