Chef Ray: Sausage and Cabbage Bake
This was a qwik and simple dish that was delicious and eaten by the whole family.
From: Evans, Pete (2019) Easy Keto Pan McMillan Australia Pty Ltd
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or good quality animal fat
- 5 paleo sausages of your choice
- 250g rindless bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 600g savoy cabbage, sliced
- 150g Brussel sprouts, sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken bone broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black peper
- 8 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil or fat in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and seal on all sides until browned but still raw in the middle, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. When cool enough to handle, cut sausages into bite-sized pieces. Set aside until needed.
- Add the bacon to the same pan and fry over medium-high heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside until needed.
- Wipe the pan clean, add the remaining coconut oil or fat and place over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes to soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cabbage mixture in a bowl, then add the bacon and sausage and give it a good mix.
- Crack the eggs into another bowl, then add the coconut cream, remaining broth and the mustard and whisk well until smooth. Season with salt & pepper.
- Tip the sautéed veg and sausage mixture into a casserole dish and spread out to form an even layer, then pour over the egg mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate dish and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the egg is golden on top and set in the middle. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published a year ago:
For more great recipes like this get Pete Evan’s Easy Keto Cookbook.
The ketogenic diet – a style of eating that is low in carbs and rich in healthy fats – is a powerful way to transform your health, lose weight and find relief from common health problems. In this practical, one-stop guide, Pete Evans gives you the essential information you’ll need to transition to this way of eating, including:
* The benefits of a keto diet
* Guidelines on carbohydrates found in common foods
* Eating, shopping and pantry tips
* More than 70 simple and delicious recipes
As always, Pete’s recipes are quick, easy to make and full of bright, fresh flavours.
Easy Keto is for anyone interested in this way of eating who is unsure of how to get started. With some basic guidelines it has never been simpler or more enticing to reclaim your health and go keto!