Full of flavour and fuel this meal is also packed full of freshness and vegetables to keep you moving forward.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large carrots julienned
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce divided
- 1 kg ground beef
- 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp hot chilli oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups cooked white rice or cooked udon noodles
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp sriracha to serve
- Crunchy Red Chilli Topping
- Peel the cucumber into long ribbons. To do this, hold the cucumber and run a peeler the full length of the vegetable. Don't rotate the cucumber until you hit the seeds. This will produce wide ribbons. Discard the middle core of seeds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Add the carrots and cucumber ribbons to the bowl. Set aside and let the vegetables pickle for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the mushrooms with the sesame oil, sesame seeds and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate or bowl, and set aside. To the same pan, add the beef, ginger, hot chilli oil and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Stir to combine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until the beef is cooked through and browned.
- Spray a clean skillet with cooking spray, and set over medium heat. Gently crack the eggs into the skillet, cover with a lid, and cook for 3 minutes or until the egg whites are no longer clear but the yolk is still runny (sunny side up).
- To assemble, place 1 cup of cooked rice in each of four bowls. Pour 1 tablespoon of the pickling liquid from the veggies over the rice. (For a spicier dish, mix 2 tablespoons sriracha with ½ cup pickling liquid and pour 1 tablespoon of that mixture over the rice.) Divide the beef, cucumber, carrots, and mushrooms evenly among the four bowls. Top each bowl with an egg, scallions, sriracha, and chilli toping, if used.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously:
Whether you’re training for your first 6-mile run or preparing for your latest marathon, this sports nutrition guide will help you achieve your running goals!
Get ready to power your runs with recipes from Olympian Emma Coburn. Packed with delicious, wholesome meals that will sustain you through the toughest workouts, it’s the ultimate cookbook for runners!
Inside the pages of this recipe and meal planning book for athletes, you’ll find:
• 100 satisfying recipes from Emma’s kitchen – from breakfast to desserts – all with complete nutritional information
• 7 day meal plans for peak training, race week, and recovery
• Insights into Emma’s personal nutrition philosophy and training schedule
This cookbook is packed with mouthwatering recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus snacks and sweet treats, all with complete nutritional information. From everything bagels and naan flatbread to protein-packed chocolate mousse and cinnamon cookies, this flavor-forward cookbook proves that food can be delicious and nourishing at the same time.
The Runner’s Kitchen shows you that fueling for performance doesn’t have to mean flavorless foods. It means finding a balance that allows you to provide your body with the fuel it needs to perform and recover while still enjoying the foods you love.
Learn what Emma eats to gain strength and speed with scrumptious meals designed to improve your running performance. Discover tips on what to eat before, during, and after your runs for peak performance and quick recovery.
Serious Running Requires Serious Fuel
How you fuel is just as important as how you train to reach your full potential as an athlete. From getting the right nutrients to help boost your performance to recovery-friendly recipes, this book will equip you with all the information you need to get the most from your training. It’s the perfect gift for runners and athletes.