Pasta provides carbohydrates to fuel your workouts.
500g wholemeal spaghetti
4 spicy low-fat sausages
200g button mushrooms, chopped in small pieces
400g can of Italian-style tomatoes
2 carrots, grated
350g loose-leaf frozen spinach
3 tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
1. Cook spaghetti following packet directions.
2. Meanwhile, squeeze sausage meat out of sausage skin and roll into rough meatballs.
3. Spray a large pan with oil. Heat over a medium heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning, for 5 minutes until browned. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and carrots and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes then add spinach and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer.
5. Serve spaghetti with meatballs and sauce, garnish with parmesan and season taste with black pepper.
From: Bezzant, N. (July 2013) 5pm Panic New Zealand Healthy Food Guide