Bacon and Egg pie is such a versatile dish and is great for both Christmas day and the lazy days afterwards.
From: King, Bronwen (Jan 2008) Pies, Tarts and Flans in: Healthy Food Guide
- 9 sheets of filo pastry
- 1½ tablespoons melted reduced-fat spread
- 250g lean bacon, diced
- 3 spring onions, finely diced or ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 eggs, whisked with freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. Lay 1 filo pastry sheet on a large board. Brush very thinly with melted spread. Lay another sheet on top and repeat until you a have 6-sheet stack. Line base and sides of a large backing dish (about 25x30cm) with filo pastry stack.
- Sprinkle with bacon, onions and peas. Gently pour eggs over.
- With remaining filo make a 3-sheet filo pastry stack. Fold in half and place carefully on top of pie. Trim or fold edges as required. Pierce pastry in several places (with a knife or fork) to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 10 minutes the reduce temperature to 180ºC. Cook for 40-45 more minutes until pastry is golden and filling feels firm when tested with a knife. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Add tomato: Slice 2 medium-sized tomatoes thinly and place slices on top of bacon before adding spring onions and peas.
- Add potato: Chop leftover cooked potato in small chunks and add to pie with peas and spring onions.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published last year: