Chef Ray: Quick Quinoa and Pork Meatballs
With most meatballs using breadcrumbs, this recipe makes them gluten free by using quinoa as a substitute.
From: Unkown Author; (2017) The Healthy Life Cookbook Heron Books
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1½ cup vegetable stock
- 450g pork mince
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp chilli pepper
- ½ tbsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 stalks celery, slice
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, chopped
- 150g mixed lettuce leaves
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Line a large flat baking tray with baking paper.
- Rinse the quinoa and put into a medium saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. Stir occasionally to ensure the quinoa isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot. Transfer the quinoa to a large mixing bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the sesame seeds and flaxseeds, and mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Shape about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into meatballs.
- Mix in the sesame and flaxseeds and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 7 minutes, turn them over and bake for a further 8 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
- To make the salad toss all the salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- Serve the warm meatballs with the salad. Sprinkle over some sesame seeds to garnish, and add lime wedges on the side.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published last year: