Chef Ray – Indian Spiced Lentil Soup
Although not a true soup this is a cross between a dahl and a soup. Regardless, it is delicious.
From: Dixon, Jeremy; (2011) The Revive Cafe Cookbook
Makes 8 servings
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped or crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 stalk celery roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot roughly chopped
- 400g can tomatoes blended
- 1 cup red lentils
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons date puree or honey
- Saute onion, garlic and oil until clear.
- Stir in spices and vegetables.
- Add lentils, tomatoes and water and bring to boil. Simmer for around 30 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are cooked.
- Blend with a stick blender.
- Separately blend cashews and cold water to make a thick cream. Add to the pot.
- Add salt and date puree and taste.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published a couple of years ago:
For more great recipes like this get the Revive Cafe Cookbook
Jeremy shares his customer’s favorite recipes right from the kitchen of New Zealand’s renowned Revive Cafes. Vegan, gluten-free, whole food and plant based food never tasted so good. Motivated by his desire for sharing vitality through nutrition, Jeremy has personally created, curated and photographed all of the amazing recipes in this book. Be inspired to live abundantly with his tips for holistic living.