Part of riding a bike in race situations means that you have to suffer. Now it isn’t usually recommended that you train multiple intensities…especially simultaneously, because physiologically it’s not successful but what this session lacks in physiological efficiency it makes up for with mental resilience!!
Each Wednesday I’ll post a Windtrainer Workout that you can do in about 60 minutes to enhance your cycling. See a previous post about training intensity (Levels) to know how hard to work. If you are working directly with Coach Ray he will in most cases prescribe either a Power Zone or Heart Rate Zone to work within if you are training with these tools.
The inspiration for this workout comes from a discussion on the Ask A Cycling Coach / Trainer Road Podcast that was raised by Lee Likes Bikes.
Jump to 44:22 into the podcast:
Lee Likes Bikes Suffer Session
- 10min Warm Up Level II;
- 3x 1min Level IV, 30sec Level II RI;
- 3x 3min Level V Suffer (see below), 6min Level II RI;
- 5sec >150% FTP,
- 25sec >135% FTP,
- 30sec >125% FTP,
- 2min >115% FTP,
- 10min Cool Down Level II;
- 10min Stretching
Start the workout with a Warm Up (WU) of ten minutes of easy riding at Level II. To elevate your Heart Rate (HR) and prepare your body for the intervals that will come, you will ride at Level IV for one minute, then take a 30-second Rest Interval (RI) at Level II, completing three reps before moving into the main body.
The main body of this workout is made up of three, to three-minute reps all done at Level V. These reps start at the highest levels of Level V, and as the rep continues you maintain as high an intensity as possible without dropping out of Level V for the three minutes. It is only three minutes after all!!!!
This three-minute rep is made up of the first five seconds at greater than 150% of FTP, then for the next 25 seconds keeping your power above 135% of FTP to the 30-second mark, then through to the one-minute mark (i.e. the next 30 seconds) maintaining your power higher than 125% of FTP. Yep, you will be suffering at this point, but you’ve still got two minutes left (through to the three-minute mark) and you need to ride over 115% of your FTP!!! Warning this won’t be easy to maintain.
After each rep take a six-minute Rest Interval (RI) riding at Level II.
Finish the ride with ten minutes of riding at Level II for your Cool Down (CD).
To assist with your recovery, do ten minutes of stretching.
With COVID-19 affecting things, if you are keen to join me in doing this session online. I will be doing a Facebook live session later this week on the Qwik kiwi / Coach Ray Facebook page at:
- Pacific Standard Time 3 pm Thursday 26-March-2020,
- Eastern Standard Time 6 pm Thursday 26-March-2020,
- Greenwich Mean Time midnight 12 am Friday 27-March-2020,
- Western Australia 5 am Friday 27-March-2020,
- Eastern Australia 8 am Friday 27-March-2020, or
- NZ time 10 am Friday 27-March-2020.
There is no cost to join in =- it’s totally FREE
If you would like further advice feel free to contact me.
I am the Head Coach & Director of Qwik Kiwi – Endurance Sports Consultant.
I specialise in assisting first-timers and recreational athletes to achieve their sporting goals. I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and 021 348 729. Make sure you sign up for my informative newsletter.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Download the Garmin (.FIT) and Zwift (.ZWO) files for this workout for FREE
If you enjoyed this workout, here is a similar session I published 12 months ago.
I have launched a new coaching service in the coming weeks and am now offering Initial Memberships at the lowest price that they will ever be offered. You will gain access to ALL my training plans. The Foundation Membership is only offered whilst I build the site out and get my training plans built into the site. Join now for only $67 and gain access to Training Plans for beginner and recreational athletes:
- All distances of Triathlon (including both Ironman and Ironman 70.3);
- Full and Half Marathon, 5km & 10km running events;
- Century and 40km TT cycle events;
- Mountain Biking events and tours;
- Swim training plans;
- Strength training; and
- Getting started with both swimming and running.
If the programme you are after isn’t yet built into the site, let me know which one you are after and I will ensure that is the next plan built into the site for you.
Normally I charge NZ$500 per month for my coaching but you’ll get the advantage of:
- A dedicated training plan on Training Tilt (value $500)
- Access to a fortnightly group coaching call (value $30 per call x2 = $60)
- The event Training Bible (value $37 for each event plan)
- Access to my popular Top 10 Healthy RecipeseBook ($27)
- Access to my popular 7 Secrets of Endurance Training Success eBook ($17)
- The dedicated Coach Ray / Qwik Kiwi Coaching support group (priceless)
That’s a total value of over $641, and you will only pay $67 per month. All at no risk, if you don’t get faster in the first 30 days you get a full 100% money-back guarantee.
This price will be grandfathered for you at a low price for as long as you remain a member.