This is a great workout for developing your ability to sustain your threshold effort. This is perfect for road cyclists as well as triathletes and mountain bikers.
Each Wednesday I’ll post a Windtrainer Workout that you can do in about 60 minutes to enhance your cycling. See a previous post about training intensity (Levels) to know how hard to work. If you are working directly with Coach Ray he will in most cases prescribe either a Power Zone or Heart Rate Zone to work within if you are training with these tools.
The inspiration for this workout comes from a YouTube video from Global Cycling Network (GCN).
GCN’s Long, Sharp, Aganosing, Explosive Efforts
- 10min Warm Up Level II;
- 10min 50rpm Level III-IV,
- 2min 100-110Rpm Level II, 2min 90Rpm Level II RI;
- 10min Cool Down Level II;
- 10min Stretching
Start the workout with a Warm Up (WU) of ten minutes of easy riding at Level II.
The main body of this workout is made up of two to three, ten-minute reps riding at 50 Rpm at Level III-IV. Do these reps on a steady climb (either on your trainer or an actual hill). The Rest Interval (RI) for this session is made up of two parts. Both parts are two minutes long and ridden at Level II. The first part is at a cadence of 100-110 Rpm, the second part is at 90 Rpm.
Finish the ride with ten minutes of riding at Level II for your Cool Down (CD).
To assist with your recovery, do ten minutes of stretching.
If you would like further advice feel free to contact me.
I am the Head Coach & Director of Qwik Kiwi – Endurance Sports Consultant.
I specialise in assisting first-timers and recreational athletes to achieve their sporting goals. I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and 021 348 729. Make sure you sign up for my informative newsletter.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Download the Garmin (.FIT) and Zwift (.ZWO) files for this workout for FREE
If you enjoyed this workout, here is a similar session I published 12 months ago.
I have launched a new coaching service in the coming weeks and am now offering Initial Memberships at the lowest price that they will ever be offered. You will gain access to ALL my training plans. The Foundation Membership is only offered whilst I build the site out and get my training plans built into the site. Join now for only $67 and gain access to Training Plans for beginner and recreational athletes:
- All distances of Triathlon (including both Ironman and Ironman 70.3);
- Full and Half Marathon, 5km & 10km running events;
- Century and 40km TT cycle events;
- Mountain Biking events and tours;
- Swim training plans;
- Strength training; and
- Getting started with both swimming and running.
If the programme you are after isn’t yet built into the site, let me know which one you are after and I will ensure that is the next plan built into the site for you.
Normally I charge NZ$500 per month for my coaching but you’ll get the advantage of:
- A dedicated training plan on Training Tilt (value $500)
- Access to a fortnightly group coaching call (value $30 per call x2 = $60)
- The event Training Bible (value $37 for each event plan)
- Access to my popular Top 10 Healthy RecipeseBook ($27)
- Access to my popular 7 Secrets of Endurance Training Success eBook ($17)
- The dedicated Coach Ray / Qwik Kiwi Coaching support group (priceless)
That’s a total value of over $641, and you will only pay $67 per month. All at no risk, if you don’t get faster in the first 30 days you get a full 100% money-back guarantee.
This price will be grandfathered for you at the low price for as long as you remain a member.