Chef Ray: Vege and Lentil Curry with Coconut Rice
This is a qwik and nutritious meal, that will fuel your workouts.
From: Bezzant, Niki; It’s on the Table In (Dec 17) Healthy Food Guide
- ½ cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
- oil spray
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced in small batons
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup frozen broad beans, defrosted and pods removed
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 400g can lentils in spring water, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock or miso (made with 2 teaspoons miso paste and 1 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- fresh coriander and/or kaffir lime leaves, to garnish
- To a saucepan, add rice, coconut milk powder and 1 cup of water and mix well. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 20-25 minutes, until rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrot, spring onions and ginger, and cook for 2 minutes. Add broccoli, mushrooms, broad beans and half of the chilli and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add spices and stir to combine.
- Add lentils, stock or miso, tomato paste and brown sugar and bring to a simmer for 8-10 minutes, until liquid reduces slightly. Squeeze lemon juice over and add remaining chilli.
- Divide curry and coconut rice between 2 plates. Serve garnished with coriander and/or kaffir lime leaves.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.