A delicious and easy to prepare soup that gives great flavour and sustenance.
Red Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder (or substitute chilli powder)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water or stock
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the curry powder and toast for a few seconds, then add onion, garlic, jalapeno and coconut milk. Stir together and let cook 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and water or stock. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and let simmer until lentils are tender, about 20-30 minute.
- If desired, add yoghurt, tomatoes, cilantro and ginger. Adjust flavour with salt.
Either serve as is, or puree in batches in a blender for a smooth consistency. The soup is fantastic with warm bread or tortillas and a little more yoghurt and chopped jalapenos on top.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery. Click here to purchase.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously:
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published a couple of years ago:
For more great recipes like this get the Feedzone Cookbook.
Chef Biju and Dr. Lim vetted countless meals with the world’s best endurance athletes in the most demanding test kitchens. In The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes, Thomas and Lim share their energy-packed, wholesome recipes to make meals easy to prepare, delicious to eat, and better for performance.
The Feed Zone Cookbook provides 150 delicious recipes that even the busiest athletes can prepare in less time than it takes to warm up for a workout. With simple recipes requiring just a handful of ingredients, Biju and Allen show how easy it is for athletes to prepare their own food, whether at home or on the go.
The Feed Zone Cookbook strikes the perfect balance between science and practice so that athletes will change the way they think about food, replacing highly processed food substitutes with real, nourishing foods that will satisfy every athlete’s cravings.
The Feed Zone Cookbook includes
- 150 delicious recipes illustrated with full-color photographs
- Breakfasts, lunches, recovery meals, dinners, snacks, desserts
- Dr. Allen Lim’s take on the science and practice of food
- Portable real food snacks, including Lim’s famous rice cakes
- Dozens of quick-prep meals for before and after workouts
- Shortcuts, substitutions, and techniques to save time in the kitchen
- Over 100 gluten-free and vegetarian alternatives to favorite dishes