Chef Ray: Quinoa Salad with Cranberries and Kale
This recipe is the perfect dish to serve up for someone who thinks kale or quinoa are bland. It is full of flavour and brings the salad to life.
From: Unkown Author; (2017) The Healthy Life Cookbook Heron Books
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ¾ cup slivered almonds
- 10 cups raw kale, stems removed and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the quinoa and put into a large saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. Stir occasionally to ensure the quinoa isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once cooked, transfer the quinoa to a large mixing bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a small frying pan, dry-fry the slivered almonds over high heat for 2 minutes or until they start turning brown. Add immediately to the quinoa.
- Add the kale and cranberries to the bowl and toss everything together.
- In a small bowl, vigorously whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss everything together to thoroughly coat the quinoa and kale.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper to serve.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published a couple of years ago: