This is a great meal for a couple (or double it for more serves), plenty of vitamins and minerals from the fresh vegetables with protein from the chicken and slow release carbohydrates to fuel your training.
Spiced Barbecue Chicken with Cucumber Pickle Salad
- 2 tablespoons gochujang or sweet chilli sauce
- 4 small bone-in chicken thighs
- spray oil
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
- 2 small carrots, peeled in ribbons
- 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- fresh chillies and spring onion, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- 1½ cups steamed brown rice
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Thin gochujang, if using, with a little water. Rub over chicken thighs and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. (Alternatively, cook on a barbecue grill with the lid down 20-30 minutes.)
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, carrot and cabbage. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and soy sauce with ¼ cup water and pour over salad, mixing well to coat vegetables. Set aside.
- Heat rice. Serve chicken on rice with salad on the side, garnish with chillies and spring onion if desired.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously: