This is a great meal for a couple (or double it for more serves), plenty of vitamins and minerals from the fresh vegetables with protein from the chicken and slow release carbohydrates to fuel your training.
From: Bezzant, Niki (Feb 2019) It’s On The Table in: Healthy Food Guide
- 2 tablespoons gochujang or sweet chilli sauce
- 4 small bone-in chicken thighs
- spray oil
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
- 2 small carrots, peeled in ribbons
- 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- fresh chillies and spring onion, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- 1½ cups steamed brown rice
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Thin gochujang, if using, with a little water. Rub over chicken thighs and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. (Alternatively, cook on a barbecue grill with the lid down 20-30 minutes.)
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, carrot and cabbage. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and soy sauce with ¼ cup water and pour over salad, mixing well to coat vegetables. Set aside.
- Heat rice. Serve chicken on rice with salad on the side, garnish with chillies and spring onion if desired.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously: