Chef Ray – Haloumi + Tomato Kebabs with Roast Pumpkin Quinoa + Tahini Dressing
This vegetarian meal is packed full of flavour.
From: Lim, Nadia (2015) Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook Penguin Random House
Roast Pumpkin Quinoa
- pumpkin or butternut 400g skin on, cut into 2cm cubes
- red onion 1, cut into 2cm-thick wedges
- fennel seeds 1 teaspoon, crushed
- coriander seeds 1 teaspoon, crushed
- chilli flakes ½ teaspoon (optional)
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- liquid honey 1 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper
- garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- cooked quinoa 1 cup
- haloumi 360g, cut into 2cm cubes
- sumac 1 tablespoon (optional)
- cherry tomatoes 24
- bamboo skewers 8
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- baby spinach or kale 2 large handfuls
- Kalamata olives ¼ cup, pitted, chopped
- preserved lemon 1 tablespoon finely chopped or lemon grated zest of 1
- flat-leaf parsley ¼ cup finely chopped
- tahini dressing
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Toss pumpkin or butternut and red onion with fennel and coriander seeds, chilli flakes, if using, olive oil and honey. Season well with salt and pepper and roast for about 20 minutes, turning a few times during cooking, until the pumpkin is soft and caramelised. With a few minutes cooking time to go, toss in chopped garlic. Cook the quinoa.
- Roll haloumi in sumac, if using, to lightly coat. Skewer haloumi and cherry tomatoes onto bamboo skewers. Make sure the skewers go through the centre of the haloumi and tomatoes so they sit flush and both make contact with the pan when cooking.
- When ready to cook the kebabs, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large frying pan or on a barbecue hot plate. Cook kebabs in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side until the haloumi is golden and melted inside. Use a fish slice to push down on the kebabs gently for more even cooking. Add 1-2 teaspoons more oil as required.
- Fluff up quinoa and toss with roast pumpkin and onion, any roasting juices from the tray, baby spinach or kale, olives, lemon and parsley. Season to taste.
- To serve divide roast pumpkin, quinoa and kebabs between plates and drizzle over tahini dressing.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery. Click here to purchase.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously:
For more great recipes like this get the Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook.
Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook is a no-fuss approach to losing weight, getting fit, and feeling your best. With more than 100 nutrition-packed, calorie-controlled, deliciously satisfying breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and treats, Nadia will help you lose weight and keep it off. These everyday, easy recipes, combined with her simple exercise tips, create a flexible 12-week program for anyone wanting to shape up and live a healthier life. Enjoy favorite dishes like steak and mushroom pie, pizza margarita, and lemon coconut slice with a lighter, healthier twist. Recipes cover busy family weeknights through to entertaining, and can be adapted to the seasons and your tastes. With Nadia’s all-inclusive eating and exercise plan you are set to become the healthiest, happiest, and most energetic you have ever been. This is more than just a cookbook—it’s a recipe for life!