I love the combinations of textures in this recipe and how each flavour explodes in your mouth. From the gooey haloumi, to the citrus of the orange.
Chargrilled Pumpkin & Haloumi Salad with Chickpeas
- 800g Kent pumpkin, thinly sliced
- 1kg eggplant, cut into wedges
- 120g haloumi, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 oranges, peeled, segmented
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 120g baby rocket
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat a large chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to high.
- Lightly spray pumpkin, eggplant and haloumi with olive oil, then sprinkle over with cumin. Add pumpkin and egg plant to pan or hotplate and cook, turning once, for 5-10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large serving platter.
- Add haloumi to hotplate or pan and cook, turning once, for 1-2 minutes or until soft. Transfer to serving platter.
- Scatter chickpeas, orange segments, walnuts and rocket onto platter. Drizzle with lemon juice and a tablespoon of olive oil. Serve salad seasoned with freshly ground black pepper.
Baking the pumpkin skin makes it tender enough to eat, but if you don’t want to do this, just remove and add to your compost.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously: