Chef Ray: Ham Tortilla with Tomato Salad
Qwik and simply to prepare this is something that can be whipped together using up left overs.
From: Freer, Chrissy (Jan 2018) Rev Up Your leftovers in: Healthy Food Guide
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large courgette, coarsely grated
- 2 cups (250g) 2cm-cubed leftover roasted vegetables*
- 150g leftover lean ham off the bone, diced
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup trim milk
- cracked black pepper
- 1 punnet (250g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (made with 1 part olive oil to 2 parts balsamic vinegar)
*Roast potato, kumara, pumpkin, carrot or parsnip work well in this recipe
- Heat oven grill on medium-high. In a medium non-stick oven proof pan (24cm-base diameter frying pan is ideal), heat oil over medium. Cook onion, stirring. Add garlic and courgette and cook stirring for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add left over veges and ham and stir. Spread mixture evenly around the pan.
- In a large jug, whisk eggs and milk together. Season with pepper. Pour egg mixture over veges. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until base is golden and set.
- Place frying pan under grill, and cook for 3-4 minutes until top is set and golden. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine tomatoes, basil and the 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar. Carefully invert tortilla onto a clean board and cut into 8 wedges.
- Divide tortilla wedges among 4 plates and serve with tomato salad, and salad leaves drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published last year: