Chef Ray – Beef Massaman Curry
This is a meal packed with flavour and spice.
From: Bridgeford, Jo (Mar 2019) in: Thai Twists Healthy Food Guide
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 500gm chunk steak or blade steak, fat trimmed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons massaman curry paste
- 500g baby potatoes, quartered
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup fresh coriander, stalks and leaves kept separate, chopped
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3½ cups halved button mushrooms
- 1 lime, zest and juice, plus extra lime wedges to serve
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, to serve
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- In a large, cast iron Dutch oven (or oven proof pot with lid), heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown steak then remove from pot and set aside. To the pot, add curry paste, potatoes, onions, ginger and coriander stalks. Fry for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in coconut milk and 2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, add mushrooms, zest and juice, fish sauce and kaffir leaves and return beef to the pot. Stir well, cover and cook in the oven for about 90 minutes.
- Serve with rice and garnish with lime wedges, coriander leaves and chilli slices, if desired.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously: