I found this meal, qwik and simple to prepare. Packed full of flavour it was delicious to eat. Plenty of healthy vitamins to boot.
Pearl Barley, Beetroot and Goat’s Cheese Risotto
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 250 g pearl barley
- 2 beetroots peeled and grated
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1.4 litres vegetable stock
- 100 g frozen peas
- 150 g soft goat's cheese
- handful of basil leaves roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 5 mins, until softened. Stir in the pearl barley and beetroot, add the wine and let it bubble away for a few minutes.
- Add the stock a couple of ladleful at a time, stirring well after each addition. Only add the next ladle of stock when the previous one has been mostly absorbed. Continue cooking like this until the barley is tender – it should take around 35-40 mins.
- Stir in the peas, check the seasoning and crumble over the goat's cheese. Top with the basil and serve.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously: