Chef Ray – Pumpkin & Cranberry Filo Parcels
Delivering flavour in these tasty packages.
From: Dixon, Jeremy; (2013) The Revive Cafe Cookbook 3
Makes 8 parcels
- 2 cups pumpkin or butternut diced
- 1 teaspoon oil (for pumpkin)
- 1½ cups onion diced (around 1 onion)
- 1 teaspoon oil (for onion)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen spinach defrosted (around 300g)
- 8 sheets filo pastry – size around 30x20cm (12×8 in)
- oil for brushing
- garnish: 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- garnish: 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- garnish: fresh coriander
- Mix the diced pumpkin with 1 teaspoon of oil on a baking tray. Bake for around 20 minutes at 180°C/355°F or until soft.
- In a pan sauté the onion and 1 teaspoon oil for around 5 minutes or until soft.
- In a mixing bowl combine pumpkin with onion, cranberries, salt and spinach.
- Put 2 sheets of filo pastry onto your chopping board and cut in half lengthwise so you have 2 long pieces on top of each other.
- Spoon ½ cup of the mix onto the bottom right corner. Fold into a triangle. Keep folding over into triangles until you have used all the pastry. There will be around 4-5 folds required depending on the size.
- Using a brush, oil the filo parcels lightly. You can also use oil spray. make sure the tips and sides are covered as these burn the easiest.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven at 150°C/300°F for around 15 minutes or until crunchy.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
Do not overmix as it is nice to have some clumps of the different ingredients.
* I inadvertently purchased Flakey Puff Pastry instead of Filo Pastry. Although not quite what the chef ordered it still worked for the recipe.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously:
For more great recipes like this get the Revive Cafe Cookbook 3.
The founder of Revive Cafes now reveals some of Revive’s secret recipes. Jeremy has a passion to share with others how to add vitality to their lives through his cafes, inspiring weekly e-mails, cooking demonstrations and now his cookbooks. His career has included ten years as a cereal marketer and over six years running Revive.