Chef Ray – Carrot Cake Bars
The perfect wee treat or energy bar to take riding with you or for an adventure into the hills.
From: Cameron-Lee, Megan; Sweet Treats In (Mar 18) Healthy Food Guide
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup flaxseeds
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup dried dates, roughly chopped
- ½ cup finely grated carrot (squeezed to remove excess liquid)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large baking tray and a 20cm x 20cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Spread nuts and seeds over the prepared baking tray. Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until just golden.
- In a bowl, combine oats, toasted nuts and seeds, dried fruit, carrot, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in the centre then add almond butter, honey and egg. Mix until all ingredients are well moistened.
- With a wet hand, gently press mixture into prepared baking tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely in the tin. Remove from tin and cut into 16 bars.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published a couple of years ago: