Prepare the night before to cook during the day to be ready for you when you get home from work.
From: Gray, Sophie (Aug 2007) Stop the Clock in: Healthy Food Guide
- spicy sausages good quality, 4 (or more if you wish)
- onion 1 large, chopped
- garlic 2 fat cloves, chopped
- celery 2 stalks, chopped
- capsicum 1, de-seeded and chopped
- chopped tomatoes 2x 400g tins
- tomato paste 1 tablespoons
- basil pesto 2 heaped tablespoons
- brown lentils 1½ cups, uncooked
- pumpkin 2 cups, diced
- carrots 2, peeled and chopped
- sugar 1 teaspoon
- beef stock 2 cups
- In a large frying pan brown the sausages. Toss in the onion, celery and capsicum and cook until beginning to soften. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 tablespoon of the pesto, then heat until simmering.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and cut them into chunks before returning them to the mixture (if the sausages are fresh rather than dried cut them at the end of the cooking).
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker, add the lentils, vegetables, stock and sugar, stir.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8 hours. When cooked, stir in the additional tablespoon of pesto and serve in warmed bowls with crusty bread.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously: