This is the curry for people that don’t like spice. The Massaman paste gives the meal flavour without assaulting your taste buds.
Massaman Chicken Curry
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger grated
- 2 Tbsps. massaman curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. lemongrass paste
- 450 g sweeet potato/kumara chopped
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 500 g lean, skinless chicken thigh fillets, chopped
- 2 small red capsicums, chopped
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- 200 g snow or sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 limes
- ½ cup coriander leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 Tbsp. desiccated coconut
- red chillies, chopped or sliced, to garnish (optional)
- handful roasted peanuts, to garnish (optional)
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ginger, curry and lemongrass paste. Cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add sweet potato. Stir to coat.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes soften. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until lightly golden. Add capsicum and coconut milk and ½ cup water. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer further 5-10 minnutes or until sweet potato is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Add snow peas or sugar snaps, cook uncovered a further 2-3 minutes until bright green crisp. Add fish sauce and the juice of one lime. Adjust seasoning. Stri through coriander.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan with a lid, bring rice, 1 cup water and coconut to boil. Reduce heat, simmer covered for 10-15 minutes untilliquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat. Leave for 5 minutes before serving.
- Divide curry and rice amojng serving bowls. Scatter with extra coriander and chilli and peanuts, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them by taking photos of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing, and recovery. Click here to purchase.