Wednesday Windtrainer Workout: Bethany’s Bike Trainer Intensity Mix-Up
In any race situation you are likely to have to ride at varying intensities. This session will help you develop that and is great for all cyclists including triathletes and mountain bikers.
Each Wednesday I’ll post a Wind Trainer session that you can do in about 60 minutes to enhance your cycling. See a previous post about training intensity (Levels) to know how hard to work. If you are working directly with Coach Ray he will in most cases prescribe either a Power Zone or Heart Rate Zone to work within if you are training with these tools.
The inspiration for this workout comes from a article written by Bethany Rutledge owner and head coach at Energy Lab, a power cycling studio in Atlanta, Georgia. It was originally posted as an article on Triathlete.com click here to read the original article.
Bethany’s Bike Trainer Intensity Mix-Up
- 15min Warm Up all Level II;
- 4min Level II;
- 4x 1min cadence 95+rpm, 30sec Level II RI;
- 4x 30sec SLD
- 1min Level II;
- 3x 7min Level III, 1min Level II RI;
- 3min Level II;
- 8x 40sec Level V, 20sec Level II RI;
- 10min Cool Down Level II;
- 10min Stretching
Start the workout with a Warm Up (WU) of 15 minutes easy riding at Level II. This 15 minutes starts off with four minutes riding at Level II, before incorporating some higher cadence work.
Ride at a cadence greater than 95 RPM but still at Level II (so make sure you are in an appropriate gear) for a minute. After each rep cruise at Level II for 30 seconds at any cadence before increasing your cadence for the next rep. Complete a total of four reps.
Next up unclip one foot and ride single leg drill, focussing on pedalling in circles for the entire pedal stroke for 30 seconds. Swap to the other leg for the next 30 seconds. Complete four reps, two on each side.
Finish off the 15 minute Warm Up (WU) with a minute of riding at Level III.
The main body of the workout is made up of two sets. The first being at Level III, and the second being at Level V.
The first set is made up of three reps of seven minutes duration at Level III, with a one minute Rest Interval (RI) between reps ridden at Level II.
Between sets ride for three minutes at Level II.
The last set is made up of eight reps, riding as hard as you can at Level V for 40 seconds, followed by a 20 second Rest Interval (RI) at Level II.
Finish the ride with ten minutes riding at Level II for your Cool Down (CD).
To assist with your recovery, do ten minutes stretching.
With COVID-19 affecting things, if you are keen to join me doing this session online. I will be doing a Facebook live session later this week on the Qwik kiwi / Coach Ray Facebook page at:
- Pacific Standard Time 2pm Thursday 02-April-2020,
- Eastern Standard Time 5pm Thursday 02-April-2020,
- Greenwich Mean Time midnight 11pm Thursday 02-April-2020,
- Western Australia 5am Friday 03-April-2020,
- Eastern Australia 8am Friday 03-April-2020, or
- NZ time 10am Friday 03-April-2020.
There is no cost to join in – it’s totally FREE
If you would like further advice feel free to contact me.
I am the Head Coach & Director of Qwik Kiwi – Endurance Sports Consultant.
I specialise in assisting first timers and recreational athletes to achieve their sporting goals. I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and 021 348 729. Make sure you sign up to my informative newsletter.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this workout, here is a similar session I published 12 months ago.
I have launched a new coaching service in the coming weeks and am now offering Initial Memberships at the lowest price that they will ever be offered for. You will gain access to ALL my training plans. The Foundation Membership is only offered whilst I build the site out and get my training plans built into the site. Join now for only $67 and gain access to Training Plans for beginner and recreational athletes:
- All distances of Triathlon (including both Ironman and Ironman 70.3);
- Full and Half Marathon’s, 5km & 10km running events;
- Century and 40km TT cycle events;
- Mountain Biking events and tours;
- Swim training plans;
- Strength training; and
- Getting started with both swimming and running.
If the programme you are after isn’t yet built into the site, let me know which one you are after and I will ensure that is the next plan built into the site for you.
Normally I charge NZ$500 per month for my coaching but you’ll get the advantage of:
- A dedicated training plan on Training Tilt (value $500)
- Access to a fortnightly group coaching call (value $30 per call x2 = $60)
- The event Training Bible (value $37 for each event plan)
- Access to my popular Top 10 Healthy RecipeseBook ($27)
- Access to my popular 7 Secrets of Endurance Training Success eBook ($17)
- The dedicated Coach Ray / Qwik Kiwi Coaching support group (priceless)
That’s a total value of over $641, and you will only pay $67 per month. All at no risk, if you don’t get faster in the first 30 days you get a full 100% money back guarantee.
This price will be grandfathered for you at the low price for as long as you remain a member.