Stamina and Endurance are essential for a number of reasons. If you are a triathlete or open-water swimmer this is useful for the duration of your event. But more so if you are a Master’s Swimmer targeting a shorter pool-based event that provides the base fitness on which to build your speed as part of a periodised swimming plan. This session is great for master’s swimmers.
Each Saturday I will post a Swim Session, and most weeks I will load three options up for you to do. Option A is for swimmers who are after a workout between 1,000 & 2,000 metres. Option B is for swimmers who are after a workout between 2,000 & 3,000m and Option C will be greater than 3,000m.
Read this article here for an explanation of Swim Intensity.
- 400m WU Level II;
- 4x 50m Drill/Swim;
- 4x 300m Level II 20RI;
- 200m CD Level I-II (2,000m)
- 600m WU Level II;
- 4x 50m Drill/Swim;
- 5x 300m Level II 20RI;
- 200m CD Level I-II (2,600m)
- 1,000m WU Level II;
- 8x 50m Drill/Swim;
- 6x 300m Level II 20RI;
- 200m CD Level I-II (3,400m)
For the Warm Up (WU) start with a 400m swim (Option A), 600m (Option B), or 1,000m (Option C) at Level II. During the warm-up feel free to stop and stretch as needed. It doesn’t need to be a continuous swim.
Next up is a drill set. There are four (Options A & B) or eight (Option C) 50m repetitions made up of 25m Drill, then straight into 25m normal swimming. Feel free to use fins whilst doing this set. Do the drills below:
The main set includes four (Option A), five (Option B), or six (Option C) reps of 300m swum at Level II. Take a 20-second Rest Interval (RI) after each rep.
For the Cool Down (CD) swim 200m. Unlike the previous sets which have to be freestyle, the Cool Down (CD) (like the Warm Up (WU)) can be any stroke you wish to swim. You can also stop and rest after any length. I encourage you to stop and stretch during the cool-down.
If you would like further advice feel free to contact me.
I am the Head Coach and Director of Qwik Kiwi Coaching.
I specialise in assisting first-timers and recreational athletes to achieve their sporting goals. I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and 021 348 729.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Download the Garmin (.FIT) files for this workout for FREE
Get my Swim Fitness Improver 12-week Swim Training Plan with 25% off
Take Your Swimming to New Heights: Swim Fitness Improver for Intermediate Athletes
Attention, intermediate swimmers! If you’re logging 3,000m to 4,000m per session and are determined to enhance your performance, our Swim Fitness Improver training plan is tailor-made for you.
Embark on a 12-week journey that will redefine your swimming abilities and propel you towards your goals. Here’s why Swim Fitness Improver is the ideal choice for intermediate athletes:
- Unleash Your Potential: It’s time to tap into the athlete within. Our training plan is designed to unlock your full capabilities and elevate your swimming to new heights. Whether you’re aiming to improve your speed, increase your endurance, or fine-tune your technique, Swim Fitness Improver will take you there.
- Periodised for Progress: I believe in the power of periodisation. My meticulously structured program ensures that every session builds upon the last, optimising your training to achieve maximum results. You’ll experience a systematic progression that targets the specific needs of intermediate swimmers like you.
- Targeted Sprint Performance: Are you eyeing masters swim events or looking to dominate the sprints in your competitions? Swim Fitness Improver focuses on enhancing your sprint performance, refining your technique, and sharpening your speed. We’ll help you develop the explosive power and endurance required for success in these events.
- Expert Coaching and Guidance: I am an experienced swimming coach, who is dedicated to your success. Benefit from my expertise and personalised guidance throughout your training journey. As a Swim Fitness Improver participant, you’ll have access to my exclusive group coaching calls, allowing you to refine your skills and learn from fellow athletes.
- Seamlessly Integrated Workouts: With our Structured Workouts, incorporating the Swim Fitness Improver plan into your training routine is effortless. Simply sync the workouts to your Garmin watch, and you’ll have step-by-step guidance at your fingertips. Stay on track, measure your progress, and experience the convenience of technology working in harmony with your goals.
Don’t settle for mediocrity; strive for greatness. Join Swim Fitness Improver today and witness the transformation in your swimming abilities within just 12 weeks!
Prior to using this plan, you should be able to swim 1,500 metres or yards continuously, 3,000 metres or yards total within a workout.
When purchasing, use the discount code “web25” to claim your 25% discount.