Race pace for events longer than half marathon distance for most athletes aren’t run at threshold pace but instead a touch lower with large portions of the event done at Level III. It’s important to expose the body to training at this level of intensity. This is a great workout for someone training for a half to full marathon (whether part of an Ironman or 70.3).
Each week I will be posting the Friday Fartlek Run Sessions that you can do to enhance your running. Fartlek is a Swedish term that is often used by runners and it means speed-play. See a previous post about training intensity (levels) to know how hard to work.
Steady Plus 60min
- 10min WU Level II;
- 40min Level III;
- 10min CD Level II;
- 10min Stretching
The warm up (WU) should be done at an intensity that is steady but not over consuming at Level II for ten minutes.
The main set is done by running for 40 minutes at Level III.
The Cool Down (CD) is at a low intensity jogging (Level II) for a minimum of ten minutes.
Finish with 10 minutes stretching to assist with the recovery.
If you would like further advice feel free to contact me.
I am the Head Coach & Director of Qwik Kiwi – Endurance Sports Consultant.
I specialise in assisting first timers and recreational athletes to achieve their sporting goals. I can be contacted at email@example.com and 021 348 729.
Join over 2,884 people who have already signed up to be kept up to date with great workouts and training information in my informative newsletter.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this workout, here is a similar session I published.
I have launched a new coaching service and am now offering Initial Memberships at the lowest price that they will ever be offered for. You will gain access to ALL my training plans. Join now for only $67 and gain access to Training Plans for beginner and recreational athletes:
- All distances of Triathlon (including both Ironman and Ironman 70.3);
- Full and Half Marathon’s, 5km & 10km running events;
- Century and 40km TT cycle events;
- Mountain Biking events and tours;
- Swim training plans;
- Strength training; and
- Getting started with both swimming and running.
If the programme you are after isn’t yet built into the site, let me know which one you are after and I will ensure that is the next plan built into the site for you.
Normally I charge US$350 for my coaching but you’ll get the advantage of
- A dedicated training plan on Training Tilt (value $350)
- Access to a fortnightly group coaching call (value $20 per call x2 = $40)
- The event Training Bible (value $27 for each event plan)
- Access to my popular Top 10 Healthy Recipes eBook ($17)
- Access to a range of my popular eBooks (total value $76)
- The dedicated Coach Ray / Qwik Kiwi Coaching support group (priceless)
That’s a total value of over $510, and you will only pay $67 per month, saving you over $443. All at no risk, if you don’t get faster in the first 30 days you get a full 100% money back guarantee.
This price will be grandfathered for you at the low price for as long as you remain a member.