Chef Ray – Vegetable and Sausage Pilaf with Egg
The rice in this dish will fuel your workouts, but the protein from the meat and egg will assist with your recovery.
From: Bezzant, Niki (Jul 2018) in: Single Serve\ Healthy Food Guide
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ red onion or 1 shallot, finely chopped
- small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, diced plus fennel tops for garnish
- 1 sausage, chopped
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped spinach or silver beet
- 1 egg
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium. Cook onion, garlic, carrot and fennel bulb for 2 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add rice and combine. Add ½ cup water to pan and simmer, stirring, until liquid has reduced. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Place pilaf on plate.
- Return to pan to the heat and break egg into it. Cook until done to your liking. Serve pilaf with egg on top, garnish with fennel leaves and black pepper.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously: