Chef Ray – Spicy Jamaican Jerk Chicken, Mango Salsa + Allspice Fries
This meal has a range of textures and also a lovely spiciness for your palate.
From: Lim, Nadia (2015) Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook Penguin Random House
- 600g chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 2-3 tablespoons Jamaican jerk paste
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 600g orange kumara or sweet potato, skin on scrubbed, cut into 1-2 cm-thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼-½ teaspoon chilli flakes, optional
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled, shredded or grated
- ½ large red chilli, finely chopped (deseed if you want)
- ½ 400g can black beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ lemon, juice of
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine chicken, Jamaican jerk paste and honey in a bowl. If you have time, set aside in the fridge to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/430°F. Line two oven trays with baking paper. Season chicken with salt. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and brown chicken for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to one of the prepared trays.
- Toss kumara, olive oil, allspice and chilli flakes, if using, in the other tray. Bake both trays for about 20 minutes until fries are golden and chicken is cooked through. (Place fries above the chicken in the oven.)
- While fries and chicken are cooking, mix all salsa ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide fries, salsa and chicken equally between plates.
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
Grab my popular eBook Coach Ray’s Top 10 Healthy Recipes for only $7 (normal $27). It is packed full of Healthy Recipes to fuel your training, racing and recovery. Click here to purchase.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published previously:
For more great recipes like this get the Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook.
Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start Cookbook is a no-fuss approach to losing weight, getting fit, and feeling your best. With more than 100 nutrition-packed, calorie-controlled, deliciously satisfying breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and treats, Nadia will help you lose weight and keep it off. These everyday, easy recipes, combined with her simple exercise tips, create a flexible 12-week program for anyone wanting to shape up and live a healthier life. Enjoy favorite dishes like steak and mushroom pie, pizza margarita, and lemon coconut slice with a lighter, healthier twist. Recipes cover busy family weeknights through to entertaining, and can be adapted to the seasons and your tastes. With Nadia’s all-inclusive eating and exercise plan you are set to become the healthiest, happiest, and most energetic you have ever been. This is more than just a cookbook—it’s a recipe for life!