A great vegetarian/vegan recipe where the feta gives a great punch of flavour to the potatoes.
From: Dixon, Jeremy (2012) The Revive Cafe Cookbook 2
Makes 12x ½ cup cakes
- 1kg (2lb) white potatoes, unpeeled (around 4 large)
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 cup freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 100g (3 oz) feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil (for frying)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Cut potatoes into quarters and put in a pot of boiling water. Simmer until soft (around 10 minutes) and then drain.
- Mash potatoes roughly so there are still some chunks left.
- In a pan saute the onion and oil for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl (except oil, sesame seeds and parsley) and mix well.
- Put the sesame seeds on a plate.
- Measure out ½ cup of the potato mix and roll into a ball with your hands. Roll in the sesame seeds so it is liberally covered. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil. Fry cakes for around 3 minutes each side or until lightly brown. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
You can also cook these in the oven if you do not want to spend time flipping. Simply brush with oil and bake for 20 minutes at 150°C (300°F).
Although I’m not a qualified chef I do like to pretend I’m on Master Chef. I source the recipes from the stated source (not sauce) and make them taking the photo of the meal I produce for myself.
Get more great recipes like this from the Revive Cookbook 2:
Share this post so your friends can benefit as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe here is one I published a year ago: